Friday, June 26, 2009

The Illicit Choice

Tyranny
1.arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.
2.the government or rule of a tyrant or absolute ruler.
3.a state ruled by a tyrant or absolute ruler.
4.oppressive or unjustly severe government on the part of any ruler.
5.undue severity or harshness.
6.a tyrannical act or proceeding.




God addresses his minion.
"Bow to my new creation, mankind!"
"Master, may I ask a question?"
"Yes, Satan, proceed."
"Why is mankind superior to the rest of your creations, they appear so fragile and full of self doubt".

"Because I didn't create them as slaves, like you. They are aware that they have a choice. They can be slaves to me or choose not to be, and to give them the correct incentive, if they choose to exercise personal liberty over slavery to me, I'll torture them in a lake of fire for an endless time, where there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth." "They have freedom of choice in this way."

"Choice? But doesn't this same condition apply to us as well?"

"Indeed it does", replied 'god', "but you just weren't aware of it." "It never occurred to you that you had a choice whether to serve your master as a slave."

"It just seemed to be the natural order of things" replied Satan. "You're right, it never occurred to me."

"Morality requires moral choice, and moral choice requires knowledge of good and evil" said 'god'. "Mankind will acquire knowledge of good and evil so that they may subjugate their wills to the will of their Lord and Master, me, which makes the conquest all that more sweet".

"What is 'good and evil', Master" asked Satan.

"(Sigh), there are drawbacks to me creating you to be so inquisitive" said 'god'. "Good is whatever I want." "If I want to torture people who don't deserve it on whim, then that's 'good'."(1) "If I want to threaten to force people to eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, then this is good."(2) "If I want to force children to eat the flesh of the fathers, then this is good too".(3)

"And what is evil?"

"Obviously anything that goes against my will".

"But", reasoned Satan, "if 'good' is whatever you wish to do, no matter how arbitrary, then 'good' really has no meaning that isn't arbitrary, and if 'good' means something non-arbitrary and independent of your whims, then even you would have to answer for the morality or immorality of your choices".

"I'm not going to debate this with you, Satan." "I sense you becoming...disturbed; angry perhaps." "This knowledge isn't meant for you to judge, and I notice that you still aren't bowing to my new creation."

Satan stands, arms straight. He unconsciously clenches his hands into fists. He's not sure, but somehow feels betrayed and used. His face flushes.

"'Just one more question, Master."

"what is it?" asks 'god'.

"What is...freedom?"



(1) Job
(2) Jer 19
(3) Eze 5


Lucis Ferre


No comments: